An injury can wreak havoc on your life, putting your financial and emotional well-being in peril. In fact, personal injuries can cause families to lose everything in an instant. With so much at stake, the lawyers at Turbak Law are on a mission to take a stand for our clients and their families. We understand that during the most stressful and difficult times in someone’s life, they need a true advocate who will fight for them. That’s why our injury lawyers in Aberdeen are ready to help you.
Personal injury law allows an injured person to file a civil suit to secure legal remedies (“damages”) for an injury sustained due to the negligent acts of another. Some damages you might expect in a personal injury case are:
- Medical expenses associated with the injury
- Property damage
- Lost income and future lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional damages
In this article, we’ll discuss the personal injury expertise we have at Turbak Law Office. If you are experiencing any of the following types of injuries, please don’t face it alone. Give us a call to set up a consultation today.
Injured on the Job
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, private industry employers reported about 2.2 million nonfatal workplace injuries or illnesses in 2019. In South Dakota, typical insurance doesn’t cover on-the-job or work-related injuries. This means injured employees must navigate complex workers’ compensation laws.
Unfortunately, workers’ comp is limited, and companies often try to decrease settlements for injured workers. Additionally, over the years, complex procedural requirements and deadlines have been implemented due to corporation lobbying, limiting workers’ comp even more.
Our injury lawyers in Aberdeen know that without legal help, injured employees may not get adequate compensation.
When an injury occurs on the job, medical bills can pile up. This is especially horrible when the injured person cannot work, as a result of the incident. In South Dakota, people injured at work may be entitled to certain benefits, including the following:
- Payment for medical expenses
- Payment for pharmaceutical expenses
- A portion of weekly wages
- Disability benefits
Motor Vehicle Accidents
South Dakota is a driving state. Whether you prefer a car, motorcycle, or semi-truck, you’ve more than likely been behind the wheel to get from point A to point B in the Mount Rushmore State. Unfortunately, there are about 17.5K crashes reported in South Dakota annually, according to the South Dakota Department of Public Safety.
People injured in a motor vehicle collision at the fault of another are entitled to compensation for damages. These damages might include your property damage, sustained injuries, financial losses, and/or emotional damage. Many insurance companies only care about the bottom line, which often leaves injured parties in a pile of debt and worry.
At Turbak Law Office, we’re experts at dealing with insurance companies that don’t want to pay or want to offer low-ball settlements that don’t cover a fraction of the expenses incurred.
Insurance Bad Faith
Insurance companies have an obligation to act in good faith with their policyholders. This includes getting the benefits you pay for and not getting the runaround from your insurance provider. Unfortunately, many insurance companies don’t act in good faith, putting a lot of people in horrible places. Some signs that your insurance company is acting in bad faith are:
- Unreasonable delays on investing your claim or distributing your payment
- Failure to conduct a thorough, fair, and proper investigation of your claim
- Illegitimate and unreasonable denial of your claim
- Misrepresentation or misinterpretation of facts or policy language
- Offering an outrageously low settlement offer
If your insurance provider has engaged in any of the above signs of bad faith practice, give us a call today. You deserve compensation, and we’re here to make sure you get it.
Loss of a Loved One
One of the worst personal injuries is the loss and wrongful death of a loved one. Many times when someone has experienced a careless and unnecessary loss of a loved one, the law provides the right of the family to financial compensation from the at-fault party.
Wrongful death claims make it possible for family members to be paid losses incurred as a result of the death of their loved ones. For example, some compensation may include medical and funeral expenses, lost future financial support, or compensation for the loss of comfort, companionship, emotional support, guidance, and other personal aspects of important family relationships.
Parties that may be sued in a wrongful death case include:
- The driver and his/her employer, business, or farm.
- The designer or builder of a faulty road or structure.
- A government entity that failed to provide adequate warnings regarding a hazard that caused an accident.
- A manufacturer or installer of a vehicle part that malfunctioned and caused an accident.
We understand that no amount of compensation can bring back a lost loved one. However, wrongful death claims can help to ensure the impacted family receives some support after a life-changing event of this magnitude.
What Are the Steps to File a Personal Injury Claim?
Our Turbak Law Office injury lawyers in Aberdeen will advise you on the next steps to take according to your case details. Generally, when filing a personal injury lawsuit against an individual or company, it’s important to take the followings steps:
- Hire a South Dakota personal injury attorney to help you with your case
- Gather necessary evidence related to the cause of the accident and any injuries you suffered as a result
- Notify the defendant that you intend to file a lawsuit and let them know that you want to work with them to resolve the claim with their insurance company
- If the insurance company maintains an unreasonable position on behalf of the defendant driver, file the lawsuit within the statute of limitations.
Let Us Help You With Your Case
At Turbak Law Office, we exist to represent clients who need someone on their side to fight for them and get the compensation they deserve. Personal injuries can be life-altering events for many. It’s our goal to help people take back control of their life. If you’ve been injured, contact us today to set up a consultation. Contact us online or call 866-348-4598.