Hurt in a car accident?

If you’re hurt in a collision that was someone else’s fault, you have a right to compensation for your injuries.  That compensation includes financial losses, like any time lost from work and the price of necessary treatment (even if paid by your own insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid).  It also includes losses like physical pain; suffering; total or partial disability; frustration, disappointment, and other emotional distress; and lost opportunities to enjoy life, activities, and relationships with friends and family.

The at-fault driver’s liability insurance company doesn’t have to pay for any of your losses, though, until either a jury tells them to or you and the auto insurance company agree on the total amount the insurance company should pay you for all your losses.  Typically, insurance companies won’t pay any part of a claim for injury until they are ready to pay the entire loss.  So you shouldn’t assume they will pay any medical bills or lost earnings until you’re ready to settle your whole claim – past and future.

Meanwhile, make use of other available insurance, whether it’s a policy you bought for yourself, insurance provided through your work, or coverage you might have under someone else’s car insurance.  For example, your own auto policy might have no-deductible coverage for medical bills, regardless of who was at fault.  If you were riding in someone else’s car when you were hurt, medical payments coverage might be available under their car insurance.  If you have health insurance or a group health plan, take advantage of that, too, rather than let your treatment bills pile up.  Any health plan or auto insurer who pays your bills up front can always ask for repayment later, when you settle your claim with the insurance company that’s ultimately responsible.

Knowing what you’re entitled to, understanding what insurance applies, and dealing with the various rules and procedures that apply to personal injury claims can be overwhelming to the average person – and even to the average lawyer.  You will be protecting yourself best if you hire attorneys who focus on representing injured people and their families.  Turbak Law Office, P.C. frequently deals will car accidents and vehicle collisions where someone is injured and we’d be glad to try to help you.

As with most all cases that Turbak Law Office, P.C. takes, we generally do not work on an hourly basis. In almost all cases, especially car accidents and collisions, we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that we do not get paid until you get paid, and if we are not able to get you compensation you are usually not responsible for our services. This all depends on our particular Legal Services Agreement.


A South Dakota car accident attorney can help you seek compensation if you were involved in an accident caused by a negligent driver. As you seek an insurance settlement for the car accident, we will help you determine what you can claim in damages to help pay for any repairs, injuries, and related pain and suffering.

Semi-Truck Collisions

No matter what you call their vehicles (semi-trucks, big rigs, tractor trailers, or 18-wheelers), negligent truck drivers can be held liable in an accident that causes you harm. If that driver was at fault, any personal injury caused to you and your family should be covered under your insurance policy or the other driver’s insurance policy.


Were you hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist? If your motorcycle was damaged or if you sustained any personal injuries, the driver at fault can be held accountable for your pain and suffering. Our attorneys can help you fight for your right to a just insurance settlement that helps pay for your medical bills.