This past summer, news reports of car accidents on the South Dakota section of the I-29 were a stark reminder of road hazards on major highways.

In August alone, six people were injured in a crash north of Sioux Falls and a driver suffered after a rollover crash near mile marker 61. As the winter months approach, it’s vital to stay safe on the road. If an accident occurs, know where to go for help by contacting a car accident attorney.

Road Tips for I-29

State authorities remind drivers to wear seat belts and refrain from driving while impaired or distracted. It’s crucial to obey the rules of the road and always exercise caution, including driving defensively when road conditions may lead to low visibility or increased hazards. If an accident happens, file a police report immediately, seek medical attention and speak with an attorney.

Filing a Lawsuit After an I-29 Crash

If you or loved ones are injured on the highway, many parties may be responsible. Fault may lie with the other driver, the government for failure to maintain the roads, maintenance crews, or yourself. These incidents are personally very traumatic and legally very complicated, and no accident victim should have to handle it alone.

That’s why it’s important to speak with a South Dakota car accident attorney as soon as possible, while physical evidence is still available and your memory of the crash is fresh. By law, you can get a copy of the accident report filed by yourself or another person involved in the crash. Although you have three years to file a lawsuit for personal injury, you may have as little as six months to sue a government entity.

Car Accident Settlements in South Dakota

South Dakota is an at-fault state, which means your car accident lawsuit settlement will depend largely on the details. As long as you are less than “slightly” at fault for the collision, you may be able to recover from the at-fault party. Seeking legal advice is the best way to ensure you exhaust all your potential avenues for settlement after an accident.

Speak with an Attorney Today

If you have questions about your legal rights, including what you should ask for in a car accident settlement, contact Watertown’s Turbak Law Office, P.C. at 866-231-0914 today to learn how we can be of help.